1. What is your role/position with NHCLV and which location do you work at? How long have you worked for the organization?
As a Community Health Worker, my role is to provide Care Coordination, including Social Support and Outreach to patients at NHCLV health centers. Providing home visits, accompanying patients to appointments and service providers, and providing social support individually and in groups. I provide assistance to patients and their families, and work closely with physicians and nurses to provide education to patients and work on creating goals with them. I advocate for patients and families, and identify and coordinate needed resources. I have been working for NHCLV for nearly 7 years.
2. Why do you think an FQHC is important in caring for members of the Lehigh Valley community?
The importance of having an FQHC accessible to our community and patients is that we reach and serve the underserved, uninsured, and homeless populations.
3. What’s the most important thing you have learned working for an FQHC?
The most important thing I have learned working for an FQHC is that patients have access to medical care regardless of their ability to pay.
4. What do you love most about your job?
What I love most is our patients. I look forward to working personally with them and seeing them create goals and achieving them.
5. What one piece of advice do you have for patients when it comes to caring for their health?
Taking care of your health allows you to see healthier days.