1. What is your role/position with NHCLV and which location do you work at? How long have you worked for the organization?
I am the Patient Registration Specialist at our Vida Nueva community health center in downtown Allentown. I have been with NHCLV for 3 years.
2. Why do you think an FQHC is important in caring for members of the Lehigh Valley community?
An FQHC is very much needed in the Lehigh Valley. We have many patients who cannot afford healthcare and are also not eligible for Medical Assistance due to income or legal residency. We provide care to everyone without discrimination of any sort.
3. What’s the most important thing you have learned working for an FQHC?
I started working here around the same time that Hurricane Maria destroyed Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. I was amazed at how much we as a team came together to help all those in need. We had patients dropping off clothes to donate to other patients and I have learned that the Lehigh Valley has so many compassionate residents. When it’s time to come together, we do just that.
4. What do you love most about your job?
I love being the first point of contact for all new patients. I get to meet all of our new patients and explain what we do as an organization and all the services we offer.
5. What one piece of advice do you have for patients when it comes to caring for their health?
I advise all of our patients to keep their appointments and to reschedule if needed. If they made the first step in checking on their health then it’s best to follow through and do all you are instructed to do by the providers. Healthcare can be scary and expensive which is why an organization like ours has such an impact in our community.